For all those seeking to exercise their Second Amendment Rights, the Kent Rod & Gun Club proudly features a team of Certified Firearms Instructors who hold scheduled and intensive courses for first-time pistol license applicants as well as those doing an upgrade to an existing license.
The elements involved in every aspect of handgun use is not something that can be properly taught in a condensed course of instruction or even spread over different sessions. Our 8 hour, one-day, sessions provide students with personalized attention as well as range time which allows our Instructors to evaluate what each individual has learned during the course.
We strive to teach more than just the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude for owning and operating a pistol safely in our NRA Basic Pistol Shooting courses. During the classroom and range time spent learning to shoot revolvers and semi-automatic pistols, students learn NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; pistol parts and operation; ammunition; shooting fundamentals; range rules; shooting from the bench rest position, two handed and one handed standing positions; cleaning the pistol; and continued opportunities for skill development.
Students will receive the Basics of Pistol Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, lesson plan and course completion certificate. In addition, students will take a Basics of Pistol Shooting Student Examination.
The 8 hour course fee is $95.00 per person and includes range time.
Our team of Instructors possess a wealth of experience and information in Shooting Sports, each with a remarkable background in firearms.......
- Kevin McGuinness - President of the Kent Rod & Gun Club, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor and NRA Range Safety Officer. Kevin has been a shooting enthusiast since 1972 when he was taught to shoot Skeet and Trap. In addition to being a competitive pistol shooter, he is a continuous NRA member.
- John Sparano - Past President of the Kent Rod & Gun Club, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, NRA Certified Shotshell Reloading Instructor and Chief Range Safety Officer. John is an excellent competitive shooter.
- Patty Sparano - Corresponding Secretary of the Kent Rod & Gun Club and the first woman to sit on the Executive Board in the club's 71 years of existence. Both an NRA Certified Pistol Instructor and NRA Range Safety Officer, Patty is also a competitive shooter. As the chairperson of Ladies Day at the Range events, she will be looking to offer Refuse to be a Victim seminars at the Kent Rod & Gun Club in the near future.
- Darwin Richmond - Board Member of the Kent Rod & Gun Club, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor and NRA Range Safety Officer. Darwin has taken extensive training at the Front Sight Firearms Training Institute in Nevada.
- Rob Firriolo - Member of the Kent Rod & Gun Club, NRA Certified Instructor in Basic Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection in the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home. Rob is also an NRA Certified Range Safety Officer and USAA/NFAA/BSA Certified Level 1 Archery Instructor. Rob's many credentials range from an NRA Benefactor Life Member, NYSRPA Member plus the Assistant Scoutmaster/Training Coordinator of BSA Troop 440 in Patterson, New York....and these are just a few. Rob schedules his well-attended, Personal Protection Courses regularly at the Kent Rod & Gun Club.